Sep 27, 2022
A rideshare driver has been arrested following allegations of violently sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl in August, according to a KTLA report. The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) is currently seeking the public’s assistance in identifying any additional victims who may have been harmed by the suspect.
On Saturday, LAPD authorities arrested 37-year-old Jonh Erik Bastidas Arenas in connection to an August armed sexual assault of a minor, KTLA confirmed.
According to the LAPD, the victim was walking home in the area of Gilmore Street and Sylmar Avenue, near Van Nuys Elementary School, on August 13 when the suspect drove up in a 2021 white Toyota Prius.
Police say the suspect then “opened the passenger door of the Prius, brandished a weapon, and directed the victim to enter the car,” according to an ABC 7 Los Angeles report.
“Out of fear, the victim complied with his demand,” LAPD officials said in a news release. “While inside the vehicle, the suspect sexually assaulted the victim.”
LAPD investigators further confirmed that the victim was eventually able to escape on foot and notified police.
“Investigators reviewed surveillance video footage from the area and identified Arenas as a suspect, and the victim later confirmed Arenas was the attacker,” LAPD officials said.
Police arrested Arenas on Thursday. He was booked into the LAPD Van Nuys Community Police Station jail, ABC 7 reported. Investigators reportedly discovered Arenas “had been employed as a contract driver for multiple rideshare services since September 2021,” according to ABC 7.
Following his arrest, Arenas was charged with kidnapping and sexual assault related charges.
LAPD investigators are seeking additional victims of Arenas’ and are urging anyone with information on a possible sexual assault to contact them at 818-374-5415.
California AB 218 is a piece of landmark legislation which took effect in 2020. Under AB 218, all survivors of childhood sexual abuse are currently eligible to file civil claims seeking financial compensation against perpetrators. AB 218 applies regardless of how long ago the crime occurred under what’s known as a three-year “lookback window.” Also commonly known as a revival window, this limited opportunity affords all survivors of child sex abuse an opportunity to obtain the justice they deserve.
The statute of limitations is currently paused under the AB 218 legislation. Accordingly, any survivor of childhood sexual abuse may now immediately file a civil lawsuit for damages with Dordulian Law Group, regardless of when the crime occurred.
However, the limited three-year lookback window officially closes on January 1, 2023. As a result, if survivors whose crimes occurred outside of the standard statute of limitations do not file claims by December 31, 2022, they will likely be left without any future legal recourse.
Ready to file a claim and pursue justice through a financial damages award? Our expert attorneys are available online or by phone now.
Dordulian Law Group’s (DLG) experienced child sexual abuse lawyers are here to fight for survivors and help them recover the maximum financial compensation they deserve. Don’t wait to file your claim and miss out on an unprecedented (and limited) opportunity at securing justice under California AB 218.
Contact DLG’s childhood sexual abuse lawyers today to learn more about how we can help you secure justice through maximum financial compensation. There is never any upfront fee for our expert legal representation – you won’t pay a penny until after we’ve successfully secured a damages award for your child sex abuse claim.
Our law firm in Glendale, CA advocates for victims of sexual assault, injury, employment disputes, and personal injury concerns.