Feb 22, 2023
A new lawsuit filed against Marilyn Manson under New York’s Adult Survivors Act alleges the musician sexually assaulted an underage girl multiple times on his tour bus, according to a report from the Associated Press (AP).
The complaint also alleges Manson threatened to kill the family of the survivor – who was 16 years old at the time of the first sexual violence incident – if she told anyone about the assault.
“The woman – who filed the suit anonymously under the name Jane Doe – claims that Manson (whose real name is Brian Warner) assaulted and raped her many times over the course of four years, from 1995 to 1999,” the AP reported.
The sexual assault lawsuit was filed Monday in New York’s Nassau County Supreme Court. The plaintiff, now 44, also brought claims against Manson’s former record labels:
The unnamed survivor further alleges that the labels knew about Manson’s abusive nature and “celebrated and promoted (it) for their collective financial gain,” according to a USA Today report.
Both record labels “were well aware of [Manson’s] obsession with child pornography and pedophilia and his desire to expose children across America to sexual themes,” the suit claims.
The complaint also alleges that the unnamed plaintiff first met Manson in 1995 outside a concert venue in Dallas, Texas. “She, along with three other underage female fans, were waiting to meet the singer,” the AP reported.
A Pitchfork report indicated that Manson allegedly asked the girls “what each of their ages were, what grades in school they were in, and where their parents were at the time,” before inviting Jane Doe “and one of the other younger girls onto the tour bus.”
The lawsuit further alleges that while on the tour bus, “Warner performed various acts of criminal sexual conduct upon Plaintiff (Jane Doe), who was a virgin at the time, including but not limited to forced copulation and vaginal penetration.”
“One of the band members watched Defendant Warner sexually assault Plaintiff. Plaintiff was in pain, scared, upset, humiliated and confused. After he was done, Defendant Warner laughed at her. Plaintiff is informed and thereon alleges that all of the sexually abusive and harassing conduct alleged herein was done to satisfy Defendant Warner’s own prurient sexual desires. Then Defendant Warner demanded Plaintiff to ‘get the f- off of my bus’ and threatened Plaintiff that, if she told anyone, he would kill her and her family,” the complaint says.
Jane Doe’s attorney told USA Today that the sexual assault lawsuit is “an indictment of the music industry for maintaining a culture that celebrates, protects, and enables sexual predators.”
Additional allegations included in the lawsuit are as follows:
Descriptions of other alleged sexual violence incidents listed in the complaint include:
Manson allegedly groomed the 16-year-old girl and provided her with drugs, an NBC News report indicated. According to the complaint, Manson “often coerced Plaintiff to have sex with him and other band members or his assistant at the same time.”
Manson’s attorney, Howard King, called the allegations in the lawsuit “vicious lies” and said his client “will not submit to this shakedown,” according to NBC News.
“Brian Warner does not know this individual and has no recollection of ever having met her 28 years ago. He certainly was never intimate with her,” King said in a statement. “She has been shopping her fabricated tale to tabloids and on podcasts for more than two years.”
Interscope Records did not immediately respond to requests for comment, according to NBC News. “Nothing Records was a label created by musician Trent Reznor through Interscope Records,” NBC reported.
As NBC News reported, Marilyn Manson has been accused of sexual violence previously.
“In 2021, Evan Rachel Wood, Manson’s former girlfriend, accused him of grooming her as a teenager and abusing her for years. Manson was not charged with any crime connected to Wood’s allegations. He filed a defamation lawsuit against Wood last year,” NBC News said.
Manson faced additional accusations of sexual assault by at least three other women in lawsuits filed against him in 2021.
Last week, a sexual assault settlement between Manson and “Game of Thrones” actor Esme Bianco was announced.
In the federal complaint, Bianco said Manson violated human trafficking law by bringing her to California from England in 2009 and 2011 “under the false pretenses of roles in music videos and movies that never materialized,” according to the AP.
With the #MeToo Movement gaining worldwide attention, many states have passed legislation affording survivors of sexual assault the ability to file civil lawsuits for damages even if the crime occurred several years ago (and outside of the traditional statute of limitations).
Two such states are California and New York. California’s AB 2777 legislation took effect at the beginning of 2022 and allows any adult survivor of sexual assault to file a claim for financial compensation for crimes which occurred on or after January 1, 2009. AB 2777 opens a three-year window for such claims to be brought.
New York’s Adult Survivors Act (ASA) was signed into law last year and provides survivors with a one-year window to file their claims. The one-year window officially took effect on November 24, 2022, allowing all New York adult survivors of sexual assault to file civil lawsuits for damages until November 24 of this year. Under the New York ASA, the statute of limitations is set aside, giving adult sexual assault survivors – classified as anyone over the age of 18 at the time of incidents – a limited one-year lookback window to file civil claims.
With both the Adult Survivors Act and California AB 2777 in effect, a wave of sexual assault civil lawsuits have already been filed by survivors seeking justice. Additionally, thousands of claims are expected to be brought against perpetrators during the respective one-year and three-year windows.
To schedule your free and confidential sexual assault case consultation, contact a member of Dordulian Law Group’s (DLG) SAJE Team today at 866-GO-SEE-SAM. The SAJE Team (Sexual Assault Justice Experts) offers survivors a four-tiered support network of dedicated processionals available 24/7 throughout the litigation process. During your free DLG sexual assault lawyer consultation, we will discuss all available legal options with you and provide an estimate for how long your case may take to reach a settlement as well as a potential value on your damages award.
DLG was founded by Sam Dordulian, a former sex crimes prosecutor in the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office and member of RAINN’s National Leadership Council. Dordulian and his team of Los Angeles, California, sexual assault attorneys have helped survivors secure countless multi-million dollar sex crime settlements.
Some of our recent case victories include:
Our Sexual Assault Justice Experts are here to help survivors secure justice. Contact our top-rated attorneys online or by phone for a free consultation today.
Contact DLG’s SAJE Team today at 866-GO-SEE-SAM to discuss your case confidentially, freely, and without any obligation.
Our law firm in Glendale, CA advocates for victims of sexual assault, injury, employment disputes, and personal injury concerns.