May 2, 2022
Major League Baseball (MLB) announced the suspension of Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer last week. Citing violation of the league’s domestic violence and sexual assault policy, commissioner Rob Manfred confirmed that Bauer’s suspension – effective as of Friday, April 30, 2021 – would span two seasons (324 games) without pay. Said suspension, the longest non-life ban of its kind in the seven years since the league’s joint domestic violence, sexual assault, and child abuse policy took effect, does not account for the 99 games for which Bauer has been on leave, according to a report from The Sporting News.
Bauer had been on paid administrative leave since July 2, 2021, with MLB extending his leave as it continued its investigation into “claims of sexual assault from a California woman,” according to The Sporting News.
As we noted in a blog post from September 2021, the Washington Post reported that a woman made “graphic allegations in court filings, supported by photos and medical records, about two separate sexual encounters with Bauer.” Said sexual encounters allegedly turned violent, and the alleged survivor was reportedly granted a temporary domestic violence restraining order against Bauer in June of 2021.
The Washington Post report also noted:
Following Bauer’s confirmed suspension, the Los Angeles Dodgers issued the following statement:
Today, we were informed that MLB has concluded its investigation into allegations that have been made against Trevor Bauer, and the Commissioner has issued his decision regarding discipline. The Dodgers organization takes all allegations of this nature very seriously and does not condone or excuse any acts of domestic violence or sexual assault. We’ve cooperated fully with MLB’s investigation since it began, and we fully support MLB’s Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, and Child Abuse Policy, and the Commissioner’s enforcement of the Policy. We understand that Trevor has the right to appeal the Commissioner’s decision. Therefore, we will not comment further until the process is complete.
Trevor Bauer responded to MLB’s suspension announcement on Twitter by denying the accusations and asserting that he would appeal the decision.
“In the strongest possible terms, I deny committing any violation of the league’s domestic violence & sexual assault policy,” Bauer wrote.
“I am appealing this action and expect to prevail. As we have throughout this process, my representatives & I respect the confidentiality of the proceedings.”
A Los Angeles Times report noted that Bauer is the first of 16 players suspended under MLB’s sexual assault and domestic violence policy not to agree on a negotiated settlement.
Bauer is under contract with the Dodgers for the remainder of the 2022 season with an annual salary of $32 million. He has an opt-out clause ahead of the 2023 season where he is owed another $32 million, according to The Sporting News. If his suspension is upheld after the appeal, however, The Sporting News notes that Bauer “would not receive any remaining money from his contract, regardless of whether he opts out.”
In February, Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon announced that Bauer would not face any criminal charges related to the sexual violence allegations.
A June 2021 report from The Athletic detailed the allegations against Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer. According to The Athletic:
After the initial allegations surfaced, Bauer’s agent, Jon Fetterolf, issued the following statement:
“[Ms. Hill’s] basis for filing a protection order is nonexistent, fraudulent, and deliberately omits key facts, information, and her own relevant communications. Any allegations that the pair’s encounters were not 100% consensual are baseless, defamatory, and will be refuted to the fullest extent of the law. and claimed that the encounters were fully consensual.”
Major League Baseball announced the creation of its Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, and Child Abuse Policy in August 2015. The policy states that MLB:
Furthermore, the policy covers acts of child abuse, domestic violence, and sexual assault (together, “Covered Act“) as defined below:
To read MLB’s Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, and Child Abuse Policy in its entirety, please click here.
The following players have been suspended under Major League Baseball’s Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, and Child Abuse Policy:
ESPN reported that the MLB domestic violence, sexual assault, and child abuse policy grants league commissioner Rob Manfred the autonomy to suspend players under “just cause.” The prior suspensions – not counting that of former reliever Felipe Vazquez, who is serving a jail sentence for sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl – have ranged from 15 to 162 games and were the result of negotiated settlements in which players waived their right to appeal, according to ESPN.
According to a report from SB Nation, prior to MLB’s 2015 policy taking effect, “the league’s stance on domestic violence was lax.”
No Major League Baseball team reportedly took disciplinary action against a player accused of or arrested for domestic violence until the Boston Red Sox suspended Wil Cordero in 1997 following a domestic violence arrest.
A sexual assault civil lawsuit may be brought by a survivor in an effort to recover financial compensation for various types of losses. Depending on the circumstances of a sex crime, compensatory damages may be pursued and recovered through a civil claim with Dordulian Law Group.
Examples of some common damages that may be secured through a sexual assault or abuse civil claim include:
In many instances, sexual assault survivors are able to obtain justice and recover financial compensation without having to go through a lengthy trial. Sexual assault financial settlements are often able to be obtained with the assistance of an experienced attorney.
For adult sexual assault survivors, the California statute of limitations on sex crimes allows you to file a civil claim up to 10 years after an incident. Additionally, the statute of limitations allows for a three-year window in civil claims where sexual assaults lead to the discovery of a psychological injury, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Children impacted by sexual abuse are currently eligible to file civil claims regardless of when a crime occurred under AB 218. For additional information on California AB 218 and how it offers survivors of childhood sexual abuse an unprecedented opportunity at justice, please visit our recent blog post.
Dordulian Law Group (DLG) is a leading California-based sex crimes firm representing survivors across the United States. Led by former sex crimes prosecutor and Deputy District Attorney for Los Angeles County, Sam Dordulian, DLG offers survivors a unique type of legal representation which includes a four-tiered team of professionals known as the SAJE Team.
DLG’s experienced sexual assault lawyers have helped countless survivors secure maximum financial damages awards.
Some of our recent sex crime civil lawsuit victories include:
For a free and confidential consultation about your sexual assault civil lawsuit, contact a member of DLG’s SAJE Team today at 818-322-4056. Our proven California sexual assault attorneys have helped victims recover more than $100,000,000 in settlements and verdicts while maintaining a 98% success record.
Our law firm in Glendale, CA advocates for victims of sexual assault, injury, employment disputes, and personal injury concerns.