Top 10 Mistakes Injured Victims Make After Car Accidents
Top 10 Mistakes Injured Victims Make After Car Accidents
Apr 28, 2023
Car accidents happen constantly in Los Angeles County. Even for the most cautious of drivers, a potential crash can occur at any time. In fact, the California Highway Patrol’s Annual Report confirmed a total of 190,193 traffic collisions in the Golden State in 2020. That figure included all types of crashes, from minor fender-benders to more serious accidents resulting in injuries or even fatalities. However, it’s important to realize that the data only includes reported collisions, and there are likely countless additional unreported accidents that are never factored into the final statistics.
10 Common Mistakes to Avoid After a Car Accident
Of those reported 2020 California collisions, the following sub-statistics were confirmed:
- 2729 resulted in fatalities
- 11,068 resulted in severe injuries
When car accidents happen due to a driver’s negligence – whether that person is districted, speeding, under the influence, etc. – a civil claim for damages can help ensure that the victim does not sustain mounting losses for things like medical bills, lost wages, and more. But the steps you take immediately after being involved in a car accident can be crucial to whether you’re able to the recover maximum financial compensation you deserve and are awarded a cash settlement.
Let’s take a look at the Top 10 Mistakes to Avoid After a Motor Vehicle Collision. We’ll also provide information on what types of damages may be recoverable in a motor vehicle collision case and include details on how to arrange for a free and confidential consultation with an experienced and proven Dordulian Law Group Los Angeles car accident attorney.
Top 10 Mistakes to Avoid After a Car Accident Injury
The steps you take after a car accident injury can determine whether or not you have a valid claim and are entitled to financial compensation for damages. But perhaps more importantly, the steps you do not take can jeopardize your right to justice under California law.
Top 10 Mistakes Commonly Made After Car Accidents
- Not seeking medical attention: We’ve covered this topic constantly here on the DLG Blog, but unfortunately many injured car accident victims still do not seek the medical treatment they need immediately after the crash has occurred. Even if you feel fine after a car accident, it’s important to get a full examination by a licensed doctor. Some injuries, such as whiplash or concussions, can be delayed or latent in terms of showing symptoms. But these serious injuries can cause long-term damages if left untreated. As a general rule, regardless of whether you feel “okay” after a car accident, you should go to the emergency room or an urgent care center right away. Adrenaline can run high after car crashes, and this often causes victims to neglect injuries that actually require immediate attention.
- Admitting fault: Never admit fault after a car accident. In fact, it’s recommended that you don’t apologize or even acknowledge the possibility that you could hold some responsibility for the collision (even if you think you may have been to blame). An admission of fault can be used against you in legal proceedings, and you can’t take back such statements once they are made.
- Not calling the police: Regardless of how severe the collision is, car accidents should be reported to law enforcement every single time. Even in minor accidents, it’s important to file a police report. When you eventually pursue your civil lawsuit, official police reports/documentation can be important pieces of evidence that help prove your case.
- Delaying reporting the accident: While it’s recommended that you have an attorney present before making a statement to the insurance company, it’s also good to note that you have a limited time to do so. Insurance companies often have strict deadlines for reporting car accident claims, and failing to notify the proper individuals about your crash in a timely manner could result in a denied claim. Make sure your right to maximum financial compensation is protected by calling a DLG car accident lawyer immediately after the incident happens at 866-GO-SEE-SAM.
- Talking to insurance adjusters before hiring a lawyer: Insurance adjusters will present as cheerful and helpful people who have genuine concern for your well-being. But the truth is, they ultimately don’t. Insurance adjusters and corporations have one goal in mind: to minimize the amount of money they pay out for claims. That’s why it’s so important that you consult with a car accident lawyer before speaking to anyone from the insurance company. A competent car accident attorney will protect your legal rights and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and any ensuing damages from the collision.
- Not gathering evidence: Pictures and videos of your injuries as well as the crash scene/physical damage to the vehicles can be crucial evidence when you bring your civil claim for damages. But gathering contact information from all involved drivers as well as any witnesses who can help corroborate your version of events is also important. In short, gather as much information as possible after a car accident.
- Waiting too long to file a civil claim: In California, injured car accident victims typically have two years to file civil lawsuits. But that doesn’t mean you should wait that long. In fact, delaying a car accident claim filing by weeks or months can ultimately impact the value of your cash settlement. It’s strongly recommended that you file your car accident claim with Dordulian Law Group (DLG) immediately after the incident occurs – when evidence can still be gathered, witness statements can still be taken, and your injuries have yet to heal.
- Not being honest: Although we never recommend admitting fault to the other driver or passengers involved in a car accident, not being 100% honest with your personal injury attorney can be disastrous for your case. When recounting the version of events leading up to the car accident with an attorney, you must be as thorough and detailed as possible. And total honesty is the only acceptable option – lying or leaving out important pieces of information can prove to be a waste of time for everyone involved (and could leave you in legal jeopardy).
- Not asking questions: That said, it’s important to always ask questions when searching for the best car accident lawyer. You’ll want to confirm that the attorney has handled cases like yours previously (and how many), that they have a respectable win/loss record, and that they have secured settlements on behalf of satisfied clients. At DLG, our car accident lawyers are experienced litigators – they’re not afraid (or unable) to enter a courtroom on behalf of an injured victim when necessary. Confirming that your car accident lawyer has trial experience is always recommended, (and, for the record, our founder and president, Sam Dordulian, has successfully handled over 100 jury trials throughout his more than 25 years of personal injury experience).
- Not hiring the best car accident lawyer for your case: Once you’ve met with a DLG car accident attorney, we hope you’ll choose to hire us so we can fight aggressively for justice on your behalf. But whatever you do, don’t not hire an attorney soon after the car accident has occurred. Insurance companies can take advantage of injured motor vehicle accident victims, and having experienced legal representation on your side can be the best way to protect your legal right to maximum financial compensation.
Why Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
Hiring an experienced, qualified, and proven car accident lawyer can help ensure that you recover a larger cash settlement for your injuries. In fact, the Insurance Research Council (IRC) recently conducted a study which confirmed the following:
- Settlements for injured claimants were 40% higher when they had secured private legal representation.
- The average insurance payout was 3.5 times higher for injured victims who hired private attorneys (when compared to those representing themselves).
- 85% of all money paid by insurance companies for bodily injuries is received by victims who have secured representation from a private personal injury attorney.
As the saying goes, the person who represents him/herself in a car accident case has a fool for a client. Don’t let your rights be violated or your cash settlement be decreased by not getting the best legal representation available.
How to File a California Car Accident Injury Claim
DLG’s Los Angeles car accident lawyers have helped injured victims like you obtain over $100,000,000.00 in settlements and verdicts while maintaining a 98% winning record.
With DLG, your car accident injury consultation is always free, confidential, and without any obligation. And you never have to worry about paying a fee for our expert legal services until after you recover a cash settlement. We don’t get paid until you get paid – it’s that simple. Contact us today at 866-GO-SEE-SAM. We’ll review the facts of your case and provide you with all available legal options to ensure your rights are protected and the maximum financial damages award you deserve is pursued.
Ready to file a claim and pursue justice through a financial damages award? Our expert attorneys are available online or by phone now.
Damages that may be included in your car accident claim include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Lost wages
- Diminished future earning capacity
- Punitive damages
- Hospital expenses
- Medical bills (past and future treatment)
- Prescription medication expenses
- Diminished quality of life
At DLG, our experienced car accident attorneys have the knowledge and skill needed to recover all applicable economic and non-economic damages for your injuries – even for hard to prove aspects like pain and suffering or emotional trauma. Don’t settle for less than you truly deserve after a car accident injury. Get the maximized cash settlement you need to make a complete recovery by calling DLG at 866-GO-SEE-SAM.